My garden is in full bloom. Green beans yummy. The rabbits got a lot of them but we've had enough to cook two pots and give some to my dad to cook, plus I canned 6 quarts and have enough on the vines to can 4 more quarts. It sure takes a lot of beans to make a quart. I also made some peach and strawberry jam. I'm the canning queen. Not really I think I have to give that title to my Grandma.
My grandparents had this HUGE garden when I was growing up and my grandma would spend days in her HOT kitchen canning all the fresh produce. I was complaining and I only did the above mentioned canning. The woman canned enough to feed an army for the winter, with 9 kids and umpteen grandchildren she had an army. She did it in a kitchen with no air conditioning, no ceiling fans, and barely a breeze with umpteen grandchildren underfoot the entire time. I used to love going there to spend a week in the summer and watching her cook. Sometimes in my dreams I talk to her about cooking and ask her how she made certain dishes. I tell her that my cabbage rolls are missing something, but I can't figure out what. She tells me I need to add a spatch of this or a spitch of that. I wish I could remember a spatch or spitch of what because my cabbage rolls are still missing something, probably they are just missing her. I like it when she is in my dreams giving me advice or recipes. I just wish I could remember the entire recipe when I wake up. I don't know why but for the past few weeks Ommie has really been in my thoughts and dreams. I guess it is because this is the first year I've had a garden and I keep remembering the garden she had and how much better it looked than my garden. I guess it's just that she will always be a part of my life and will always be missed.
I think I titled this post wrong. It started out being about my garden but ended up being about Ommie.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
11 months ago



2 comments:
What a sweet entry. It makes me sad that we didn't live close and weren't around for much of those times. I have my own memories, but they are nothing compared to you kids who got to grow up with Ommie! I think about her a lot, and sometimes wonder if her inspiration doesn't live on through us - like I'll get a creative idea or something and think, that's Ommie at work! By the way, thank you so much for the "real" letter! I loved it and was so excited to get real mail and to read and catch up on all you've been doing! I will have to send you one back. The photos were great. We're off to the pig pickin' this weekend! I'll post photos on my blog! Take care.......
I was thinking about Ommie yesterday when I was in my HOT kitchen and thought, how in the hell did she do it? All those kids, all that work. She was a saint, that's for sure. I think we all have a little bit of Ommie in us, though!
Post a Comment