Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Hits Ohio...

Seriously we had hurricane like winds. The Dayton Airport reported winds of 72 mph and 74 mph is considered a hurricane. On Sunday afternoon we had some REALLY high winds. Weird winds. Usually when the wind picks up around here you can expect the rain to start soon, not this time. Also the temperature usually drops a few degrees because there is a nice breeze, not this time. The wind was actually warm, weird. The kids ran around the yard collecting various balls and toys and putting them in the shed. Annie actually got knocked on her butt and pushed a few feet from the wind. A tree by our dog kennel fell down about half on the kennel half on another tree. The wind split our apple tree in half, so no apples next year. We also lost another tree but luckily no damage to the house. We did loose a patch of shingles on the garage roof and some of the sulfate from the shed and garage. Tons of branches throughout the yard. But the worst of it was loosing power. We actually were some of the lucky ones, ours went out around 4:00 PM on Sunday and came back on around 4:30 AM on Tuesday.

Tuesday was Chaz's b-day so I woke him up around 4:30 to tell him the power was on.
Me - the power just came back on (as I'm nudging him)
Him - good
Me - guess what I got your for your birthday
Him - huh!!!!
Me - I got you electric 'Happy Birthday'
Him - good (as he rolls over and goes back to sleep)
And yep that's all I got him for his birthday.

My parents power was out until about 9:00 Tuesday night and my sister was fortunate enough to not loose power at all. She lives right around the corner from my parents, they both do have some roof damage from the winds though. The kids missed 3 days of school because of no power and some schools are still closed today and many people are still without power and they say it could be Monday before it is back on.

I didn't mind not having power as much as I minded not having water. We have a well and the pump runs on electric so no electric = no water. The kids took the wagon to the neighbors behind us an filled jugs up with water so that we could flush the toilets. It was weird how our power was out but they still had theirs. On Monday evening we took everything from our freezer to Chaz's cousin who lives nearby and put it in her freezer/fridge. We also took showers while we were there. Luckily we have the RV so I turned the gas on for the fridge in there and put what would fit from our fridge/freezer in the house into it, so we didn't loose much.

So that's been the excitement for the week around here. There are people I work with and friends who still don't have power and who have lost hundreds of dollars worth of food. So we are among the fortunate ones. I am thankful that this happened at this time of year and not the dead of winter when we'd have to worry about the pipes freezing. I'm also thankful that we didn't have a real hurricane like Ike.

2 comments:

Mary-Leah said...

We have some whopper windstorms here sometimes. Last winter, we had a huge windstorm one night where the winds actually got around 90 mph. We have 300 ft. trees in our backyard/park area so it's always really terrifying to watch them swing and sway. The next morning, one of them was down, luckily, towards the other trees, not our house. I have one tree I call "the butter knife" that I say is going to slice through our house some day like a knife through hot butter. When the wind blows, I take cover! Glad you didn't lose too much food. We went on vacation this summer and when we got home, our freezer in the garage was open. Don't know how it happened, but we had hundreds of dollars worth of meat, etc. in there that we had to toss. Hope you get everything back on track soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad I didn't have to deal with any of that mess!! Hope you get everything back to normal soon!! One good thing about out here in the desert, I don't think there is a tree within 50 miles big enough to do any damange!! A cactus maybe, but they seem pretty sturdy!!